Multiple officers sent to Streeterville to prevent possible teen takeover

CHICAGO – The Chicago Police Department has deployed multiple officers to the city’s Streeterville neighborhood to prevent a possible teen takeover.

On Friday evening, WGN-TV saw multiple Chicago police officers standing outside the AMC Movie Theater trying to prevent that possible teen takeover.

Police came to the area after receiving word that a teen takeover would be happening at the theater Friday night.

The Streeterville Organization of Active Residents sent out a special community alert Friday afternoon, saying in an effort to prevent large groups of teens from coming to the area, Chicago’s Office of Emergency Management has implemented geofencing in the area, meaning anyone who wants to use rideshare services – such as Uber or Lyft – will not be able to do so.

The area includes Columbus Drive, McClurg Court, Grand Avenue and North Water Street.

WGN-TV spoke with people who were concerned to hear about another potential teen takeover.

“I mean hopefully there isn’t [another teen takeover],” a resident named Brenda said. “I had a friend tell me she saw one and she left the city early, so we’re hoping that doesn’t happen today.”

The increased police presence comes after city leaders had been urged to do something after recent teen takeovers resulted in people getting shot, including a tourist.

Anyone traveling in Streeterville Friday evening should allow extra time for travel due to possible delays.

The alert also said if no gathering happens, OEMC will lift the geofence early. Currently, it’s set to end at 10 p.m.


Discover more from RSS Feeds Cloud

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Discover more from RSS Feeds Cloud

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading