Mayor deems Trump threat to withhold federal dollars as ‘terrorism’

CHICAGO (WGN) — Mayor Brandon Johnson says he’s open to talking with President Donald Trump following his threats to strip billions in federal funds from Chicago, but won’t “kiss the ring.”

The mayor’s weekly press conference near his 5th Floor City Hall office on Tuesday took on an adversarial tone as Johnson lashed out at the Trump administration’s policies and their potential impact on Chicago.

“He’s not going to hold the people of Chicago ransom,” the mayor said of the president who he says “refuses to see our humanity.”

The president last week issued said his administration was taking efforts to withhold federal funding from cities and states with policies in place that prohibit local law enforcement from cooperating with federal authorities on some immigration matters. His threat also includes schools with diversity, equity and inclusion policies.



“Trying to hold people hostage and manipulating them to succumb to his will, and then hold up our tax dollars, that is how terrorists behave,” the mayor said.

Johnson clarified that he’s not calling the president a terrorist and would be open to talking with him.

“I am open and willing to talk to anyone. … Whether it’s the White House or the 5th Floor, I have a responsibility to working people and advocating on behalf of working people,” he said. “But trying to force your will to break the spirit of working people in order to have a conversation? That’s terrorism. … We’re not going to negotiate with terrorists.”

“I’m not kissing the ring, ok?” he said.

Johnson highlighted gains and education and statistics showing improvements in fighting crime, adding that disruptions like recent teen takeovers require a holistic approach.

“We need accountability, of course, but we also need investment and resources,” the mayor said.

Johnson said more needs to be done when it comes to investment in the city’s youth and in stabilizing the city’s finances. Both goals can be achieved, he said, despite the wide differences between his administration’s priorities and those of the Trump administration.

According to Johnson’s office, the city is expected to receive roughly $3.5 billion in new and existing federal grant dollars. The Chicago Transit Authority is expecting $1.9 billion to extend the Red Line south to South 130th Street and to construct four new stations. Chicago Public Schools last year received $1.3 billion in federal funding.


Discover more from RSS Feeds Cloud

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Discover more from RSS Feeds Cloud

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading