According to the Chicago Police Department, officers were on patrol in the area when shots were fired around 9:41 p.m. in the 400 block of North City Front Plaza Drive. They saw a large group taking off from the scene and found the wounded teen with a graze wound to his leg.
The teen was taken to the hospital by the Chicago Fire Department, where he was reportedly in good condition. At least one shell casing was recovered from the scene.
Chaos unfolded as hundreds of teens were running in the street near North Columbus Drive and East Illinois Street. Videos taken on the ground and from residents in nearby apartment buildings show people blocking traffic and fighting in the roadway.
At one point, at least one person was observed using a stun gun in the middle of a fight on Columbus Dr. Video also showed bottles and other objects being thrown.
Area residents told WGN-TV Saturday morning they were frustrated over the large crowds that are causing issues in the neighborhood.
“I am shocked, and I think a lot of people are, given that these things are happening in March, and generally these things happen in the summer months, but the fact that it’s happening earlier this year, I think, is concerning a lot of residents,” Lukasz Dusza said.
During a recent town hall, area residents voiced concerns over similar incidents and said they want to see solutions, especially as the warm summer months approach.
“This is not the Chicago we want people to take home with them, I mean, two weeks ago the woman was shot – a tourist visiting from Connecticut. That was shocking, then seeing this,” Dusza said.
Dusza, who has lived in the neighborhood for six years, said he loves the area and hopes this doesn’t deter tourism or people wanting to move downtown. He also pointed out the impact on businesses forced to take measures, which include closing their doors early due to the issue.
“It’s sad, it’s embarrassing, and we just need to do better as a city,” Dusza said.
According to Ald. Brian Hopkins (2nd), 14 arrests were made during the incident, and an additional 6 juveniles were taken into custody for curfew violations.
Just last month, a tourist from Connecticut was shot while walking with her son. According to Hopkins, the shots were fired near East Illinois and North McClurg Court during an argument after a group of teens were kicked out of the theater.
This isn’t the first time Hopkins or residents in the community raised the alarm on concerns surrounding the teen takeover trends. Last year, WGN-TV spoke with business owners and area leadership following the large gatherings and a violent attack on a couple that unfolded during one of them.
Hopkins, with the support of Ald. Brendan Reilly (42nd), who also serves the Streeterville community, is calling for an 8 p.m. curfew for unattended minors. He has filed the ordinance, which is expected to be addressed during a City Council meeting in April.
WGN-TV has also reached out to the Mayor’s Office for a statement on Friday’s events but has not yet heard back.
Five months after the Stranger Things finale, series creators the Duffer Brothers have admitted they…
Out on 3 June, the Nintendo Switch 2 port of Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth has…
Starting this week, Best Buy kicks off its Memorial Day Sale, along with one of…
This review is based on a screening at the 2026 Cannes Film Festival.One of the…
With prices of electric bikes reaching an all-time low, it's time to retire that pedal-powered…
Hackers are wasting no time exploiting a newly disclosed critical vulnerability in NGINX, with security…
This website uses cookies.