Category: pleasant grove

‘Fuel-fed fireball’ damages home in Pleasant Grove

PLEASANT GROVE, Utah — A Utah County family’s home was extremely damaged after a “fuel-fed fireball” blew through the structure’s roof, according to the Pleasant Grove Fire Department.

Crews responded to the home near Manilla Creek Park just before noon and PGFD said crews were able to suppress the flames enough to get to a broken natural gas line and shut it off.

The fire had already spread to the attic at that point and left the home extremely damaged, according to fire officials.

Firefighters from Orem, American Fork and the Lone Peak Fire District also responded to the fire.

Missing Attachment
Missing Attachment
Missing Attachment
Missing Attachment
Missing Attachment
Missing Attachment
Missing Attachment

Brush fire burns six acres in Pleasant Grove

PLEASANT GROVE, Utah — Crews have contained a brush fire near 1600 North and 500 East in Pleasant Grove, according to Pleasant Grove City officials.

The fire burned a total of six acres.

The Utah Division of Natural Resources said Utah has experienced 279 wildfires so far this year and 80% have been human-caused. The cause of this fire has yet to be determined.

Severe thunderstorm warning issued for Utah County

UTAH COUNTY, Utah — The National Weather Service has issued a severe thunderstorm warning for Utah County, including Eagle Mountain and Saratoga Springs.

The NWS said winds up to 60 mph and nickel-sized hail is possible.

The warning lasts through 7:00 p.m. tonight.

Pleasant Grove pool set to reopen Thursday

PLEASANT GROVE, Utah — City officials said the Veteran’s Memorial Pool is scheduled to reopen Thursday after a chlorine pump malfunctioned earlier this month.

Sixteen people were hospitalized and the pool has been closed since the initial incident happened on June 8.

The Utah County Health Department will inspect the pool Thursday morning at 10:00 a.m. and the pool could be open to the public at 1:30 p.m.

5-year-old remains in intensive care with chlorine poisoning following pump malfunction at Pleasant Grove pool

PLEASANT GROVE, Utah — The family of a 5-year-old, who fell ill to chlorine poisoning following a pump malfunction at a local swimming pool, continues to undergo testing at the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit more than 24-hours after exposure.

In a room at the end of the hall in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit at Timpanogos Regional Hospital, you will find 5-year-old Lucas Burnett, laying in a hospital bed with his mom and dad by his side.

“It was terrifying for us, we were downstairs and the next thing you know they’re like, he needs to go up to PICU right now,” said his mom, Amanda Burnett as she sat next to him on his bed.

Not even 24 hours ago Lucas Burnett, his mom and his three brothers and sisters, were enjoying a day of swimming at the Veterans Memorial Pool.

“It was a great day, we had fun, it was the first not rainy day,” Amanda Burnett said.

Everything seemed fine… until it wasn’t.

“I was confused, it was just utter chaos, kids were laying on the ground crying and I had no idea what happened,” Burnett said.

Within minutes, their day of fun turned into a day of chaos.

“Next thing you know we just see kids coughing and there’s foaming at the mouth and bloody noses, probably 20 or 30 kids that were just like out in the front coughing, wheezing and throwing up,” she continued.

Burnett said she had heard a lifeguard blow a whistle but was never told what was happening. She just started to locate her four kids and get them out of the water.

“Maybe an injury? Maybe someone pooped in the pool? We had no idea,” Burnett said.

According to the city, a chlorine pump had malfunctioned and shut down. When it was turned back on, chlorine that had been backed up in the pump was shot out into the water — people started noticing symptoms within seconds.

“The initial symptoms are very rapid and onset and they start with the eye irritation, the respiratory irritation, the coughing, choking,” said Dr. Micah Smith, an emergency physician at Timpanogos Regional Hospital in Orem.

Burnett said there was a firefighter out front, telling people to go to one side if they had symptoms and the other if they didn’t; she didn’t think any of her kids were impacted.

“I looked at all of my kids and we were all symptom-free,” she said.

“I was like, ‘oh we’re safe, we’re safe,’ and then [Lucas] just drastically went down quick,” Burnett continued.

She said firefighters were spraying children down with hoses, once she saw her son declining she grabbed him and her daughter, who had a sore throat, and got into the area that was being hosed down.

“He’s just looking worse and worse, his eyes at this point were red underneath,” described Burnett.

She was advised to take him to the hospital, “we got him here as soon as possible, with four other kids in the ambulance.”

Given Lucas Burnett’s size, age and history of upper respiratory issues, he was hit hard.

“They started him immediately on breathing treatments, he did multiple breathing treatments,” Amanda Burnett said.

Lucas Burnett was among 26 people, mostly children, who were taken to area hospitals following the incident, but he was one of just a handful of children who had to go to the PICU.

“Children are always more sensitive to chemical exposures, it takes less to affect them adversely,” said Smith.

Smith said symptoms of chlorine poisoning will start to show within 6-hours of exposure.

Those who had low-to-mild exposure could exhibit symptoms of a dry cough, shortness of breath or difficulty exercising for a few days or weeks. Those with high exposure could face long term symptoms, such as asthma, emphysema or prolonged pulmonary treatments.

Lucas Burnett’s parents hope he will be able to return home tonight, but as of now, doctors don’t know how this will affect him long term.

“I’m a little nervous for his future, but he’s a fighter, huh Luke?” Amanda Burnett said as she looked at her son.

Still, Burnett and her husband maintain this scare won’t stop them from going to the pool again.

“It’s not something they could have foreseen that it would happen, it’s a freak accident and that’s why it’s named that,” Burnett said. “But it is something, as a mom, that I am a little bit more aware.”

The health department is conducting an investigation to see what went wrong.

The city does not know when Veterans Memorial Pool will reopen. The pump will need to be replaced and another inspection will need to be completed to ensure it is safe for the public once again.

Community throws special homecoming for Pleasant Grove Naval officer

PLEASANT GROVE, Utah – The Pleasant Grove community lined the streets with flags and cheers Wednesday evening, to honor one man’s military service and celebrate the return home to his family.

About 45 minutes before the police and fire escort made its way down East 200 South, Blake Penrod diligently hammered rebar stakes into the ground several feet apart, before placing flags over the rebar.

He had just found out about the homecoming 20 minutes prior to showing up, thanks to a post on Facebook that his daughter saw.

“I said, ‘Great! I’ll just grab my flags,'” Penrod said. He wasted no time in lining the street with several large American flags, as well a Navy flag and Marine Corps flag.

Even if he only had 20 minutes’ notice, Penrod knew this event was important to show up to.

“I want him to feel a little bit more welcome home than when I did [coming home],” Penrod said, putting his hand on his chest as he got choked up.

Penrod served in the Navy during the Vietnam War.

Flags and support didn’t line the streets when he arrived back, and that’s why he’s here. He knows what it means.

After installing the last flag, Penrod stood in front of it and saluted.

Young Lilly Alldredge may not know what it means in the same way Penrod does.

“Flag’s in your face!” she playfully shrieked at her friend, laughing as she waited on the sidewalk.

Lilly does know what it means to imagine what it’d be like if her dad was gone for several months.

“I can’t believe that she would go for eight months without a dad like that,” Lilly said, of the Naval officer’s daughter. “Seems scary to me.”
That’s why she’s here– to support her friend Maddie and Maddie’s dad.

“He fought for our country,” she said, before being interrupted and told the man she’s waiting to welcome home did medical work at a hospital overseas. “Really? What? Why did I not know that?!”

It didn’t matter if everyone knew every detail about Navy Lieutenant Commander James Brown or not.

They knew he’d spent eight months in Kandahar, Afghanistan, away from family and serving our country.

And they knew he was on his final stretch home.

Sirens began to sound in the distance, and the crowd murmured as the procession drew near.

Police vehicles, a fire truck and dark SUV with LCDR Brown and his family inside turned the corner and headed down the street, passing by and continuing on.

The welcoming committee waved their flags and smiled, before parading down the street to greet the man of the hour.

A large group stood at the end of the driveway, taking pictures of Brown, his wife and four daughters all together again. A ‘welcome home’ banner hung above the garage.

“Good to be home brother!” A man said enthusiastically, hugging the Naval officer. “Thank you,” Brown replied.

With the group gathered ’round, Brown addressed everyone: “Thank you everybody for the love and support!” he said. The crowd broke out in applause, and he added “To me, and to my family.”