Health Department Chief of Staff Don Adams gave remarks during the State Board of Health’s quarterly meeting on Oct. 23, where he said that the Special Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC) program is running on “carry-forward dollars” from the previous fiscal year.
Adams said the health department spends around $5 million per month on WIC.
“There is some discussion from USDA [the U.S. Department of Agriculture] that we may receive some additional dollars that would allow us to operate beyond that. So, right now, that program is fully functioning uninterrupted, but we do have a finite number of funds there,” Adams said.
Earlier this month, WIC received a lifeline as the White House said it would infuse the program with $300 million from President Donald Trump’s tariff revenues to maintain benefits through the month.
Adams’ comments came after the Arkansas Department of Human Services warned residents that they should be prepared for “possible delay or disruption” to Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) payments due to the government shutdown.
DHS said that as of Sept. 1, more than 222,000 Arkansans across more than 118,000 households receive SNAP benefits.
In regards to ADH being impacted by the shutdown, Adams said 17 employees, one fully and 16 partially, have been furloughed since Oct. 1. Those furloughed work in the certification and survey program that receives funding from the U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
As a result of the furloughs, the department can respond to questions and complaints, but is “not doing routine inspections” of Medicare and Medicaid certifications.
If the government shutdown continues past Nov. 1, more than 40 million Americans are at risk of losing food assistance.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Far in the distant future, long after the human race has spread itself among the…
The cybersecurity landscape in 2026 is defined by unprecedented sophistication. Threat actors are leveraging generative…
Have you noticed? You can’t spell ‘Edward Kenway’ without ‘wayward’. And the protagonist of Assassin’s…
Hands Over is a new multiplayer horror party game that takes some of your favorite…
Have you noticed? You can’t spell ‘Edward Kenway’ without ‘wayward’. And the protagonist of Assassin’s…
Have you noticed? You can’t spell ‘Edward Kenway’ without ‘wayward’. And the protagonist of Assassin’s…
This website uses cookies.