Mayor Hogsett asked not to attend Irvington Halloween Festival 'out of respect for sexual assault survivors'
The letter, sent Wednesday by the Irvington Community Council to Hogsett’s staff, asks that the mayor “refrain from attending any event associated with the 79th Historic Irvington Halloween Festival.”
Council President Sue Beecher wrote that the request for Hogsett not to attend stems from “serious concerns regarding actions taken [his] administration.” Specifically, the letter mentions allegations surrounding Hogsett’s former Chief of Staff and ex-Deputy Mayor, Thomas Cook.
At least three women have accused Cook of repeatedly sexually harassing them while he was working in the mayor’s office.
A law firm hired to investigate how Hogsett’s administration handled the allegations concluded that the city acted within legal bounds, but recommended sweeping changes to city policies and oversight structures.
At least five Indianapolis City-County Councilors have called for Hogsett to resign, claiming that Cook continued to serve in both administrative and campaign positions despite the allegations.
Reports published last week by the IndyStar and Mirror Indy confirmed rumors of a romantic relationship between Cook and then-Metropolitan Development Director Scarlett Andrews. This sparked further conflict-of-interest allegations against Hogsett that can be read about here.
Beecher and the Irvington Community Council cited these exact allegations and media reports in their letter asking Hogsett to not attend the Halloween festival.
“As you are aware, multiple media outlets have documented serious concerns regarding actions taken by your administration,” Beecher wrote. “Several survivors of these documented incidents (and others not yet reported on) reside in our neighborhood and have expressed concern.”
The council said they attempted to “privately obtain” whether or not Hogsett will attend via his communications director, but received no commitment on the mayor’s attendance status.
“In response to a formal request from neighbors—and out of respect for survivors of sexual assault and others affected—the [Council] has voted to formally ask that you refrain from attending,” the letter reads.
Beecher ends the letter by saying council members “understand this is a public event” and cannot restrict the mayor from coming. However, she said they are urging Hogsett to “consider the impact” that his presence at the event may have.
“At best, it would be a distraction; at worst, it would be re-traumatizing for members of our community,” Beecher wrote. “Thank you for your consideration of this matter.”
You can read the full letter below:
Kilmar Abrego Garcia arriving at a downtown Nashville courthouse with his wife, Jennifer Vasquez Sura,…
Rick and Morty is returning for its ninth season this Sunday. We got the chance…
iBuypower is kicking off its Memorial Day Sale with tiered savings of up to $350…
Steven S. DeKnight's Spartacus: House of Ashur has reportedly been canceled at Starz after just…
Destiny players have taken to the Marathon Steam page to voice their frustrations with negative…
Although Final Fantasy 11 turns 24 this year, the MMORPG enjoyed a big boost in…
This website uses cookies.