The California Department of Social Services stated millions of Californians receiving benefits from programs such as CalFresh and Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) could be impacted if the shutdown is not lifted by Thursday.
More than five million California residents receive CalFresh benefits. The department notified counties earlier this week to prepare for no benefits starting next month, if the shutdown continues.
States have been directed by the federal government to hold November benefit data and would impact people who have been newly enrolled in CalFresh during the second half of October, and then all enrollees after Thursday.
“Trump’s failure to open the federal government is now endangering people’s lives and making basic needs like food more expensive — just as the holidays arrive,” Newsom said in a statement.
On Wednesday, he said California will take action by deploying the National Guard and California Volunteers to distribute food to families and invest $80 million to keep food banks stocked.
In 2020, the governor deployed the National Guard to support food banks during the COVID-19 pandemic. At the time, the National Guard, the California Service Corps and tens of thousands of volunteers served more than 800 million meals to families in need.
Epic Games developer Psyonix has published a sneak peek at an updated version of Rocket…
IO Interactive has published a portion of the opening mission from 007 First Light after…
Far in the distant future, long after the human race has spread itself among the…
The cybersecurity landscape in 2026 is defined by unprecedented sophistication. Threat actors are leveraging generative…
This website uses cookies.