Arrest made after teen shot in head during sleepover
Latest Updates from Our Favorite Feeds
The incident happened around 3:41 a.m. on Sept. 21 at a home on East Todd Lane. CMPD officers arrived to find Jeremiah Gonzalez suffering from a gunshot wound to the right side of his head and upper arm. He was rushed to the hospital with life-threatening injuries.
Family members said Gonzalez had been spending the night with friends, playing video games.
According to Mecklenburg County court documents, Yosue Ramos, 20, brought two guns to the sleepover: a silver Smith & Wesson handgun and an AR-style pistol. Witnesses told investigators Ramos pointed the handgun at Jeremiah and fired.
According to court documents, Ramos had a habit of pointing “unloaded” guns at friends and pulling the trigger.
After the shooting, Ramos allegedly fled the scene in a red SUV, taking the AR pistol with him. Detectives later found the vehicle parked outside his apartment on Community Circle and confirmed it matched security footage from the area, records state.
Officers also discovered the handgun used in the shooting had been reported stolen. They said the serial number matched a firearm taken in a separate incident in Charlotte earlier this year.
Ramos is now charged with assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill, inflicting serious injury, and possession of a stolen firearm. He is being held on a $100,000 secured bond. This case is due back in court this October.
As of Monday, Jeremiah’s family said they were told by doctors that he will not survive his injuries. A GoFundMe campaign has raised more than $8,600 to help the family.
“Jeremiah was a bright, kind, and loving young man with his whole future ahead of him. His life was taken far too soon, and the pain his family is experiencing is impossible to put into words,” the family shared.
The investigation remains open and ongoing.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.