Categories: Tennessee News

Man pleads guilty for attempting to use ‘weapon of mass destruction’ to destroy Nashville energy facility

COLUMBIA, Tenn. (WKRN) — A Columbia man has pleaded guilty to two charges after he planned and attempted to use what he believed to be explosives to destroy a Nashville energy facility, the Department of Justice announced Tuesday.

According to the DOJ, Skyler Philippi, 24, pleaded guilty for attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction and attempting to destroy an energy facility.

The plea comes following a series of events that took place last year. In June of 2024, Philippi told someone that he wanted to commit a mass shooting at a YMCA located in or around Columbia, according to court documents. Then, the following month, he allegedly told another person about how the impact of attacking several substations would “shock the system,” causing other substations to malfunction.

After researching previous attacks on electric substations, the 24-year-old reportedly determined that attacking the facility with firearms wouldn’t be sufficient. Therefore, officials said Philippi planned to build a drone with explosives attached to it and fly the drone into the electric substation.

According to the DOJ, Philippi told an uncover employee about his manifesto, which outlined his desire to attack high tax cities, and about his previous affiliation with white nationalist groups.

Then, in September 2024, the 24-year-old reportedly ordered explosives from undercover employees and told them the substation would, “go up like a fu**in fourth of July firework.” Soon after, Philippi met the undercover employees at a hotel and participated in a Nordic ritual and recited a Nordic prayer, telling them that “this is where the New Age begins” and that it was “time to do something big.”

The DOJ said Philippi and the agents drove to the operation site and the 24-year-old prepared to fly in the drone, which he believed had explosives attached to it. However, he was taken into custody shortly after arriving at the site.

“For months, Philippi planned what he had hoped would be a devastating attack on Nashville’s energy infrastructure. He acquired what he believed to be explosives, surveilled his target, and equipped a drone to attack an electrical substation. Motivated by a violent ideology, Philippi wanted ‘to do something big.’ Instead, the FBI disrupted his plans, and Philippi now awaits sentencing,” said Assistant Attorney General for National Security John A. Eisenberg. “The National Security Division and the FBI will continue to protect our Nation’s critical infrastructure from would-be saboteurs.”

“Skyler Philippi planned to attack an energy facility with a drone containing explosives, which had the potential to knock out power to thousands of American homes and to critical facilities like hospitals,” added Assistant Director Donald Holstead of the FBI’s Counterterrorism Division. “Through rigorous investigation, his plan was disrupted. Protecting our communities from threats to public safety is a priority for the FBI, and we will continue to work with our law enforcement partners to hold accountable those who attempt to damage critical infrastructure and threaten our national security.”

Now, Philippi is scheduled to be sentenced on Jan. 8, 2026. In addition, the 24-year-old faces a maximum penalty of life in prison and a maximum fine of $250,000.

The FBI Nashville Field Office continues to investigate the case. No additional information was immediately released.

rssfeeds-admin

Share
Published by
rssfeeds-admin

Recent Posts

Assassin’s Creed Black Flag Resynced Confirmed to Feature Drunk Load Screen After Ubisoft Post Confuses Fans

Ubisoft has confirmed Assassin's Creed Black Flag Resynced will still let Edward Kenway get drunk…

2 hours ago

The Boys Actor Antony Starr Says Goodbye to Homelander With Spoiler-Heavy Behind-the-Scenes Photos

Now that The Boys is finally over, actor Antony Starr has taken to Instagram to…

4 hours ago

The Boys Actor Antony Starr Says Goodbye to Homelander With Spoiler-Heavy Behind-the-Scenes Photos

Now that The Boys is finally over, actor Antony Starr has taken to Instagram to…

4 hours ago

The Boys Actor Antony Starr Says Goodbye to Homelander With Spoiler-Heavy Behind-the-Scenes Photos

Now that The Boys is finally over, actor Antony Starr has taken to Instagram to…

4 hours ago

The Boys Actor Antony Starr Says Goodbye to Homelander With Spoiler-Heavy Behind-the-Scenes Photos

Now that The Boys is finally over, actor Antony Starr has taken to Instagram to…

4 hours ago

The Best Deals Today: M5 MacBook Air, AirPods Pro 3, Monster Hunter Stories 3, and More

A new weekend has arrived, and today, you can save big on the M5 MacBook…

4 hours ago

This website uses cookies.