Baton Rouge mayor releases new statement after civil service board vote Monday
BATON ROUGE, La. (Louisiana First) — Mayor-President Sid Edwards issued a new statement Monday after the Municipal Fire and Police Civil Service Board voted to expand the fire chief’s job description.
A district judge had previously blocked Edwards’ attempt to merge the fire department and emergency medical services. A temporary restraining order was granted to stop the board from voting on the proposal. Edwards said the Monday vote was on the heels of the dissolution of the order.
“Last week I mentioned that I would respect the (judicial) process, and today I was pleased to see the process work,” Edwards said. “I have always said I want what’s best for our parish.”
In June, Edwards announced his plans to merge the departments to streamline operations. The plan proposed that emergency medical services workers join the fire and police civil service system. He said no layoffs would result from the merger proposal.
BATON ROUGE, La. (Louisiana First) - Mayor-President Sid Edwards took to the streets in downtown Baton Rouge, as he starts his process of cleaning up the city. Community Outreach Coordinator Matthew Edwards motivated his crew from the Mayor-President's office as they began picking up trash on North 10th Street. Mayor-President…
BATON ROUGE, La. (Louisiana First) — In a heartfelt call for unity and safety, Mayor-President Sid Edwards has launched a new community-wide initiative titled “Pray for the Parish”—aimed at bringing East Baton Rouge Parish together through prayer and reflection. The inaugural event kicked off on Thursday at the Raising Cane’s…
BATON ROUGE, La. (Louisiana First) -- People in Baton Rouge looking for their next job opportunity may have found it at the River Center. Businesses had the chance to find people who could be the right fit. Bernell Jones is a junior Psychology student at Southern University, looking for a…