Categories: North Carolina News

Sobering’: Raleigh man caught with nearly 5 kilograms of fentanyl faces $3 million bond in Durham

DURHAM, N.C. (WNCN) — A Raleigh man accused of trying to sell over 10 pounds of fentanyl is in jail on a $3 million bond.

Patrick Allen, 29, made his first court appearance in Durham County on Friday.

According to the Durham County District Attorney’s office, Allen possessed at least 28 grams of opioids with an intent to manufacture, sell, and deliver nearly five kilograms of fentanyl.

The Durham County Sheriff’s Office said the amount of fentanyl seized is enough to kill more people than the county’s entire population.

“One kilo of fentanyl has the potential to kill 500,000 people,” Durham County Sheriff Clarence Birkhead said. “When you consider the population of Durham County to be just over 324,000, it’s sobering to think of.”

According to a news release from Thursday, the sheriff’s office said detectives gathered information as part of the multi-jurisdictional investigation, locating a person of interest believed to be possessing narcotics. Law enforcement pulled the person’s car over for a traffic stop.

“The K-9 officer did indicate the presence of narcotics in the vehicle,” the release said. “As a result, a search was conducted.”

Inside the vehicle, investigators discovered 4.8 kilos of fentanyl, a large sum of cash, a firearm and various paraphernalia used in the packaging of narcotics.

Allen now faces charges including trafficking opium or heroin, felony conspiracy, possession of drug paraphernalia, possessing a controlled substance with the intent to manufacture, sell or deliver, and a window tinting violation.

The district attorney’s office said Allen has eight prior convictions with the majority related to selling and trafficking drugs.

“I understand that Mr. Allen is innocent until proven otherwise, although I do see several other previous convictions of a similar nature,” Durham County Judge Amanda Maris said in court Friday.

Just two milligrams of fentanyl can be lethal.

According to statistics from the Department of Health and Human Services, it’s estimated over 3,200 people died of an overdose last year in North Carolina, including 150 deaths in Wake County and 81 deaths in Durham County.

“The Durham County Sheriff’s Office is committed to fighting the opioid epidemic,” the news release said. “We were the first in the state of North Carolina to offer Medication Assisted Treatment for residents of the detention facility. Our investigators are working with state, local, and federal officials to stop the flow of these illegal drugs.”

The Wake County Sheriff’s Office and the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration is also assisting in the investigation.

Allen’s next court appearance is scheduled for Aug. 11.

rssfeeds-admin

Recent Posts

Star Citizen Officially Crosses the $1 Billion Funding Raised Barrier as $5,000 Spaceship You Can’t Fly In-Game Goes on Sale

Star Citizen has crossed the $1 billion funding raised barrier — a significant milestone for…

49 minutes ago

Star Citizen Officially Crosses the $1 Billion Funding Raised Barrier as $5,000 Spaceship You Can’t Fly In-Game Goes on Sale

Star Citizen has crossed the $1 billion funding raised barrier — a significant milestone for…

49 minutes ago

Top 10 Best Static Application Security Testing (SAST) Tools for Security Teams in 2026

The complexity of modern software development requires security to be deeply embedded within the engineering…

2 hours ago

Unreal Engine 6 Revealed as Rocket League Gets a New Coat of Paint

Epic Games developer Psyonix has published a sneak peek at an updated version of Rocket…

3 hours ago

This website uses cookies.