MOUNT CARMEL, Ill. (WJW) — A 6-year-old boy died last month in what the the Wabash County coroner has concluded was a “tragic accidental death” involving a balloon.
First responders were reportedly called to a home in Mount Carmel, Illinois, on May 29 where the boy, identified by family as Gunner Hyatt, was pronounced dead.
Wednesday, the coroner’s office released its initial findings for how Hyatt died, with a toxicology report still pending.
“Preliminary findings indicate that the cause of death is consistent with suffocation due to a Mylar-helium filled balloon,” the office said in the report.
Wabash County Coroner Shaun Keepes said he wanted to make the public aware of the danger posed by large Mylar balloons, which are often the same size as children.
“While often seen as harmless decorations, these balloons can pose serious risks — particularly to young children — including the rare but devastating possibility of suffocation and/or helium toxicity,” the office said.
The boy had just finished Kindergarten at Mount Carmel Elementary School, according to his obituary. He leaves behind his parents, two siblings and everyone else who loved him.
A GoFundMe has been set up for Hyatt’s family, who described him as “the craziest, most loving little boy.”
An investigation is ongoing.
A sophisticated software supply chain attack has successfully compromised the Laravel-Lang ecosystem, impacting hundreds of…
A sophisticated software supply chain attack has successfully compromised the Laravel-Lang ecosystem, impacting hundreds of…
Financially motivated threat actors are increasingly targeting software developers by impersonating popular AI coding assistants.…
Resident Evil director Zach Cregger has seen the calls for his movie to stick closer…
Workday has beaten analyst expectations in its first quarter results for Fiscal 2027. Revenue rose…
Epicor is holding its Insights conference this week in Nashville. With around 4,000 attendees, it…
This website uses cookies.