Categories: Illinois News

Construction underway at Gompers Park amid ongoing safety concerns

CHICAGO (WGN) — Gompers Park has proven problematic for Northwest Side residents over the past several months. Planned construction is underway, but other issues are still presenting a problem.

“The residents of Mayfair have every right to feel upset,” Ald. Samantha Nugent said, whose ward encompasses Gompers Park. “They are the last ones to be heard now on issues affecting them day to day

As of early Monday evening, no tents appeared to be set up in Gompers Park, but that’s due to a large construction project that was set into motion earlier in the day.

On Monday morning, city crews arrived to clear any tents or encampments from where construction was set to begin on relining the park’s lagoon and building an acorn-shaped play area.

“It’s an acorn that they are going to make with a pliable wood. It allows children to have a lot of free play and use their imagination,” Nugent said.

While no tents were set up in Gompers Park as of Monday evening, there were tents seen across Pulaski Road in Eugene Field Park.

In a statement released to WGN News, the Chicago Park District said it will continue to collaborate with the City on finding amicable means to resettle tent inhabitants.

“Residents (as in, those who lived in the tent encampment) were asked to relocate to another area of the park by Sunday, May 11th to allow construction to begin today.The Park District will continue to work with DFSS and other service organizations to connect residents with resources, including housing.”

There have been previous efforts from the city to house people who set up camp in the park, which city officials have called actions taken as part of an “Accelerated Moving Event” that began back in March.

City agencies showed up and offered housing services to anyone who wanted them, but some of those living in the Gompers Park tent encampment refused, due to available shelters being located in other areas of Chicago.

WGN News has documented the ongoing situation at Gompers Park, where tent encampments have been a source of frustration for those who live nearby. There have been reports of fires, drinking, drug-related incidents and even dog attacks in the park, causing safety concerns that the local athletic association cited as reasons to move youth baseball and softball games to other Chicago parks.

“We had 36 calls to the fire department within a 12-month period,” Nugent said. “At one point, we had two fires within six days out of this encampment.”

In California, Gov. Gavin Newsome has unveiled a blueprint for dealing with tent encampments, and while the encampments in Chicago are illegal in code, Nugent said she has yet to hear plans from the city on how to properly address them.

“The Chief Homelessness Officer is working on a plan to address homelessness? I have yet to see it,” Nugent said.

The construction projects and updates at Gompers Park are set to last 3-4 months.

Mayor Brandon Johnson’s office and the Chicago Parks District have not responded to inquiries from WGN News on code enforcement at Chicago Parks.

rssfeeds-admin

Recent Posts

LEGO Star Wars: The Mandalorian’s N-1 Starfighter Designer Interview

LEGO and Star Wars have gone hand-in-hand for decades now, with hundreds of LEGO Star…

8 minutes ago

Spider-Noir: Season 1 Spoiler-Free Review

Spider-Noir debuts domestically on MGM+ on May 25 and then globally on Prime Video on…

8 minutes ago

Canadian Man Arrested for Operating KimWolf DDoS Botnet Hacking 2 Million Devices

Canadian and U.S. authorities have arrested and charged a 23‑year‑old Ottawa resident for allegedly operating…

42 minutes ago

Canadian Man Arrested for Operating KimWolf DDoS Botnet Hacking 2 Million Devices

Canadian and U.S. authorities have arrested and charged a 23‑year‑old Ottawa resident for allegedly operating…

42 minutes ago

Canadian Man Arrested for Operating KimWolf DDoS Botnet Hacking 2 Million Devices

Canadian and U.S. authorities have arrested and charged a 23‑year‑old Ottawa resident for allegedly operating…

42 minutes ago

Canadian Man Arrested for Operating KimWolf DDoS Botnet Hacking 2 Million Devices

Canadian and U.S. authorities have arrested and charged a 23‑year‑old Ottawa resident for allegedly operating…

42 minutes ago

This website uses cookies.