Categories: Oregon News

Commission finds ‘serious threat’ to patient health, safety at Oregon State Hospital

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — National healthcare regulators have determined Oregon State Hospital poses a “serious threat” to the health and safety of its patients, one week after a sudden death at the facility.

On Wednesday, the Oregon Health Authority reported that the Joint Commission preliminarily stripped the Salem psychiatric hospital of its accreditation following a survey conducted from March 24 to March 25.

The public agency said the survey was “in response to a sentinel event.” OHA previously revealed that a patient unexpectedly died on March 18.

Surveyors have since identified several health and safety risks. According to The Joint Commission’s letter to OSH’s Interim-Superintendent Sara Walker, the facility has failed to “provide a safe environment [to] a patient in extended seclusion” and “failed to effectively implement policies and procedures related to patient assessments/re-assessments.”

The commission also noted there was no evidence that the hospital’s emergency responders followed the proper protocols for immediacy and communication.

In response, OHA said the facility has assigned workgroup leads to address each of the identified issues. The agency reported that OSH has already seen results after launching its pre-existing plan to form a seclusion-response team.

The commission further advised the hospital to conduct further education and training on assessments when patients fall. Staff will additionally be trained on how to respond to different codes, and clinical administration workers “will have more direct oversight over the clinical care delivered.”

OHA reported that TJC’s follow-up survey is slated for Thursday, Apr. 17. The organization will then determine whether or not the hospital has addressed its failures.

The commission’s findings have added on to a list of several issues OSH has faced the past few years. Most recently, in August 2024, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services gave the facility three months to implement a corrective plan after it found it was “not in substantial compliance” with federal standards.

The hospital was also placed on “immediate jeopardy status” in September 2023, April 2024 and June 2024 after a patient who was in custody for attempted aggravated murder escaped the facility.

rssfeeds-admin

Share
Published by
rssfeeds-admin

Recent Posts

Russian Threat Groups Use RDP, VPN, Supply Chain Attacks, and Social Engineering for Initial Access

Russian state-sponsored threat groups significantly stepped up their cyber operations in 2025, using a range…

3 hours ago

Hackers Backdoor Popular art-template npm Package to Launch Watering-Hole Attacks

A widely-used JavaScript templating library called art-template has been weaponized to deliver a sophisticated iOS…

3 hours ago

Hackers Use Six-Layer Persistence to Maintain Access on Compromised FreePBX Systems

A hacker group known as INJ3CTOR3 has been running an active campaign against FreePBX systems,…

3 hours ago

Hackers Use NF-e Invoice Lures to Deliver Banana RAT Through Malicious Batch Files

A newly discovered banking trojan is targeting Brazilians by disguising itself as a legitimate electronic…

3 hours ago

In Nashville, a federal judge dismisses indictment against Kilmar Abrego Garcia

Kilmar Abrego Garcia arriving at a downtown Nashville courthouse with his wife, Jennifer Vasquez Sura,…

3 hours ago

Rick and Morty Returns for Season 9 – Here’s When You Can Watch New Episodes

Rick and Morty is returning for its ninth season this Sunday. We got the chance…

3 hours ago

This website uses cookies.