Categories: South Carolina News

Crews battle wildfires in North and South Carolina amid dry conditions and gusty winds

Crews battled wildfires in North and South Carolina on Sunday amid dry conditions and gusty winds as residents were forced to evacuate in some areas.

The National Weather Service warned of increased fire danger in the region due to a combination of critically dry fuels and very low relative humidity.

In South Carolina, where more than 175 fires burned 6.6 square miles (17 square kilometers), Gov. Henry McMaster declared a state of emergency on Sunday to support the wildfire response effort, and a statewide burning ban remained in effect.

Crews made progress containing a fire in the Carolina Forest area west of the coastal resort city of Myrtle Beach, where residents had been ordered to evacuate several neighborhoods, according to Horry County Fire Rescue. Video showed some people running down the street as smoke filled the sky. But by late Sunday afternoon, the fire department announced that Carolina Forest evacuees could return home.

The South Carolina Forestry Commission estimated Sunday evening that the blaze had burned 2.5 square miles (6.5 square kilometers) with 30 percent of it contained. No structures had succumbed to the blaze and no injuries had been reported as of Sunday morning, officials said.

In North Carolina, the U.S. Forest Service said fire crews were working to contain multiple wildfires burning in four forests across the state on Sunday. The largest, about 400 acres (162 hectares), was at Uwharrie National Forest, about 50 miles (80.47 kilometers) east of Charlotte. The Forest Service said Sunday afternoon that it had made progress on the fire, reaching about one-third containment.

The small southwestern town of Tryon in Polk County, North Carolina, urged some residents to evacuate Saturday as a fire spread rapidly there. The evacuations remained in effect Sunday. A decision on whether to lift them was expected to be made Monday after intentional burns are set to try to stop the fire from spreading.

That fire has burned about 500 acres (202 hectares) as of late Sunday, with zero percent containment, according to the Polk County Emergency Management/Fire Marshal’s office. The North Carolina Forest Service was conducting water drops and back-burning operations on the ground, and area residents should expect a lot of smoke during those operations, officials said.

Officials have not said what caused any of the fires.

rssfeeds-admin

Share
Published by
rssfeeds-admin

Recent Posts

Russian Threat Groups Use RDP, VPN, Supply Chain Attacks, and Social Engineering for Initial Access

Russian state-sponsored threat groups significantly stepped up their cyber operations in 2025, using a range…

1 hour ago

Hackers Backdoor Popular art-template npm Package to Launch Watering-Hole Attacks

A widely-used JavaScript templating library called art-template has been weaponized to deliver a sophisticated iOS…

1 hour ago

Hackers Use Six-Layer Persistence to Maintain Access on Compromised FreePBX Systems

A hacker group known as INJ3CTOR3 has been running an active campaign against FreePBX systems,…

1 hour ago

Hackers Use NF-e Invoice Lures to Deliver Banana RAT Through Malicious Batch Files

A newly discovered banking trojan is targeting Brazilians by disguising itself as a legitimate electronic…

1 hour ago

In Nashville, a federal judge dismisses indictment against Kilmar Abrego Garcia

Kilmar Abrego Garcia arriving at a downtown Nashville courthouse with his wife, Jennifer Vasquez Sura,…

1 hour ago

Rick and Morty Returns for Season 9 – Here’s When You Can Watch New Episodes

Rick and Morty is returning for its ninth season this Sunday. We got the chance…

1 hour ago

This website uses cookies.