These are the weekly notes for the Accessibility Team meeting that happens on Fridays. You can read the full transcript on our Slack channel and the meeting’s agenda here.
Updates from the working groups
Only groups that provided updates are shown below.
@ryokuhi updated the group on a discussion in the channel about links opening in a new tab and it was pointed out that there isn’t anything about it in the Accessibility Handbook. @joedolson clarified provided a link to this topic in the Docs guide although without the accessibility reasons and mention by @sabernhardt it’s also in the Accessibility Handbook. Brings up the need for cross-referencing. Anyone interested, please make a Pull Request to the Doc Style Guide to add the cross-reference.
@ryokuhi shared that the General Team is:
- currently focusing on the Awaiting Review queue and on tickets milestoned for 6.2;
- at the moment, all the 12 tickets Awaiting Review have been reviewed at least once;
- there are 15 tickets milestoned for 6.2, with 14 of them already reviewed in the last two bug scrubs;
- following discussion on #56228 last week, we need a few eyes on the related Gutenberg Issue 42373, so that we set the time frame to milestone the related core issue; and
- 6 more tickets were already committed for the next release.
Before the meeting, @annezazu reported this for the Gutenberg Team and welcomes comment:
- Latest update for phase 2 items: https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/33094#issuecomment-1384570000
- Accessibility review for the offcanvas editor issue: https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/46939
- A run down of items for the training/docs/polyglot crew that might be helpful: https://make.wordpress.org/training/2023/01/13/information-sources-for-wordpress-6-2/#comment-3629
@joedolson shared a post on media management that we may want to discuss during our next Media Team meeting.
Notes during Open Floor:
- Our Call for Team Rep nomination is still open at https://make.wordpress.org/accessibility/2022/12/02/call-for-team-rep-nomination-december-2022/. We’d love for someone to step forward to support this team’s efforts; and
- @joedolson reiterated the need for testing on the FSE experience; anybody can do it: just spend time with the environment and see what accessibility issues you spot.