SF man who allegedly threatened to shoot up Cinnabar gets 15 years in federal gun case

SAN FRANCISCO — A city resident who allegedly threatened to shoot up a Cinnabar before he was arrested and charged with illegal gun possession in federal court has been sentenced to 15 years in federal prison, court records show.

Raya Man, 41, pleaded guilty to being a felon in possession of a firearm and ammunition Wednesday, the same day he was sentenced by U.S. District Judge Charles Breyer. Prosecutors noted that Man has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder on three separate occasions dating back to 1998, and all three times he accepted plea deals on assault with a deadly weapon charges.

Man’s attorney wrote in court records that Man was severely abused as a child and became addicted to crack cocaine at 13, impacting his ability to make good decisions as an adult.

Federal prosecutors charged Man last year, in connection with a September 2019 incident that started when Man allegedly entered Cinnabar on Ellis Street, broke a glass, and was asked to leave. Man walked across the street to Jonell’s Cocktail Lounge, but the owner of Cinnabar followed him and the two argued, authorities said. Man walked away, saying, “I will show you what a gangster is,” according to the complaint.

Then Man allegedly followed the owner into Cinnabar, pulled out a pistol, pointed it at him, and said, “Would you believe I could kill you now?” He then left and went back into Jonell’s, and headed straight for the restroom, according to the complaint.

“To the people who knew Man, such as this victim, this was no idle threat,” assistant U.S. Attorney Kevin Rubino wrote in a sentencing memo. “Man had a well-known reputation for violence and had been arrested for attempted murder three times before.”

Man’s attorney, assistant federal public defender Angela Chuang, wrote in a sentencing memo Man’s whole life has been “surrounded by violence and tragedy.” He is the only surviving sibling of six; three of his sisters fell victim to the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia, and two brothers died of suicide.

“His drug use, as well as the resulting impulsivity and the hyperreactivity stemming from his PTSD, ultimately entangled him in the juvenile and eventually the adult criminal justice system,” Chuang wrote. “These same persistent underlying issues, which have never been adequately addressed, also caused him to make poor decisions and engage in the serious and highly regrettable conduct in the instant offense.”

Man has already filed an appeal of the sentence, court records show.

Go to Source
Author: Nate Gartrell