BOSTON – A “Straight Pride” parade in downtown Boston Saturday afternoon attracted counterprotesters — and a large police presence.
The parade started around noon at Copley Square and moved down Boylston and Tremont streets to conclude at City Hall Plaza.
Floats and signs expressed pro-military and pro-Trump sentiments, such as “Support our troops” and “Build the wall and crime will fall.” A man in a jester’s hat carried a sign saying “Great to be straight” as he danced down the street.
A large number of counterprotesters showed up to taunt the marchers and chant, “Alt right, get off our streets, no justice, no peace.”
At police they chanted, “Who do you serve? Who do you protect?”
“I’m outraged by the idea that straight people need a pride parade,” said parade watcher Shoshanna Ehrlich, who came to the parade with her daughter. “We are not an oppressed majority by an stretch of the imagination. This is full of hate and offensive.”
Video showed officers taking at least one person into custody, but authorities released no official information on arrests by mid-afternoon.
Boston police prohibited parking along the parade route and put out an advisory saying people should not bring strollers, backpacks and large bags into the area. Video of the event showed officers searching at least one backpack.
The parade was organized by Super Happy Fun America, which says it “advocates on behalf of the straight community in order to build respect.”
“The Straight Pride Event will be held to achieve inclusivity and spread awareness of issues impacting straights in Greater Boston and beyond,” the group’s website said.
Milo Yiannopoulos, a right-wing political commentator and writer, was the grand marshal.
RALEIGH, N.C. – Doctors know the healing power of touch, especially for pre-term babies or those born with addiction or other health issues.
That’s why Raleigh’s UNC-Rex Birth Center NICU is seeking volunteer cuddlers.
“It decreases pain, it decreases the baby’s stress and it helps promote healing,” Nicole Ross, a registered nurse and the Newborn Screening coordinator at UNC-Rex Birth Center told CNN affiliate WRAL. “It helps with brain development, and it helps decrease their length of stay.”
Cuddlers are an integral part of the care provided at the hospital. Snuggling is not only vital to helping the newborns overcome the obstacles they’re facing, but also to the parents and their own recovery.
“It’s a huge stress reliever,” said Jennifer Majure, who sometimes has to leave her 2-month-old son Wilder with volunteer cuddlers. “Knowing that he’s in great hands has been a great, tremendous comfort.”
Volunteer Kelli Ready is one of the current 10 trusted cuddlers. “This is exciting for me, to get to come and snuggle babies.”
While Ready cuddles newborns such as 2-week-old Kamani, it allows mom Cecelia Williams to snuggle Kamani’s twin brother Kamari.
“I just feel like I’ve done something great for the babies to hopefully relieve their stress and improve their day,” Ready said.
Cuddlers like Ready have improved the care provided to patients and their families at UNC-Rex, the hospital says. It started a trial program for volunteer cuddlers a little more than a year ago, and due to its success, they are hoping to expand.
Several hospitals across the country have similar programs.
LORAIN, Ohio — An IT worker from Lorain was indicted in federal court this week for allegedly taking revenge on his employer.
According to a press release, 28-year-old Austyn Keaton learned of his pending termination after gaining access to the finance director’s email.
In response, prosecutors said he shut down the company’s website, blocked emails and took other unauthorized action.
Keaton was charged with one count of damaging protected computers.
Multiple agencies assisted with the investigation, including the FBI, Elyria Police Department, and Avon Police Department.
TAMPA, Fla. (WFTS) — Residents at a Tampa apartment complex are being forced to move after a shocking discovery – they were living on top of a long-lost African American cemetery.
“This grassy area has the bulk of remains,” said Connie Burton, who lived at the Robles Park Village on Florida Avenue for about 20 years.
In that grassy area, an archaeologist used a radar to discover more than 120 possible coffins.
The Tampa Bay Times linked the forgotten 1900s Zion cemetery, likely the first in Tampa for African Americans, to this current-day public housing complex. The report prompted the housing authority to investigate.
“As a child, we had heard that this used to be a memorial site but we paid little attention to it because you know, at the time we needed housing,” Burton said.
Yvette Lewis, the president of Hillsborough County’s NAACP said she was shocked about the discovery.
“It’s time for the city to right its wrong,” Lewis said.
Lewis said for these black pioneers who died in a still-fledgling city, there is no rest.
“People’s resting place are where they are supposed to rest,” Lewis said. “And the souls can’t even rest because it has been disturbed.”
Burton commended the housing authority for the way they handled this revelation. She said she was pleased the housing authority is turning the cemetery site into a memorial.
The housing authority will relocated nearly 30 families living at the complex.
Have you ever thought, said, Facebook posted or tweeted about how “bad” Utah drivers are? Well, it seems people around the country think the same thing about where they live, from New York to Boston to Connecticut.
This week, Fox 13’s Car Critic explored how perhaps drivers from different areas aren’t bad, but just have a different culture.
Hello friends, I hope you all are doing great. We are very excited to introduce something new for our website. Our team members were working on the website and finally we have launched this new feature. Now you can also become a part of this blog quite easily, by writing engineering tutorials & posts and can also publish your technical and engineering-related projects on our website.
Guys, we hope that you are well aware of our website The Engineering Project. It is the platform where we provide different engineering projects and tutorials, for engineering students & professionals, to help them in their projects & products.
In order to share your engineering experience, you just have to visit our website and click on the Add New Tutorial, first of all, you should have an account on our website which can be created very easily by just submitting some information like name, email address and password. After login to your account, you can easily share your technical knowledge with other people. So, if you are planning to start your first tutorial or project then please read through this guideline for once, so that your article successfully passed the moderation queue.
How to Post Tutorial on TEP
- First of all, Register a New Account on TEP, if you haven’t already created.
- After creating an account, click on the Add New Tutorial and you will get something as shown in below figure:
- Here, you need to provide article name, category, and Article Body and then click on the Add New Tutorial button and your article will be ready to publish.
- We daily receive dozens of requests and in order to maintain standard, we personally review every tutorial.
- It normally takes 5 working days for tutorial to pass the moderation queue and get published, but if the tutorial needs any changes then we inform the writer via email.
- We currently accepting tutorials related to below categories:
- Arduino Tutorials
- PIC Projects
- Matlab Projects
- Proteus Projects
- MyRio Projects
- Embedded Systems
- Electronic Projects
- You can also give suggestion about new categories which you think should be added in this list.
Rules to Write Article on TEP
- As I have mentioned earlier, in order to maintain quality for TEP readers, we personally review each & every tutorial, so please follow these guidelines so that your tutorial won’t stuck in moderation queue.
- Please follow below guidelines:
- There must be no plagiarism in the tutorial. Please try to avoid such article which is copied from other websites.
- In the article, there should be no spelling mistakes. Try to avoid such type of mistake because if there are lots of spelling mistakes in article you can not deliver your knowledge to others comprehensively. After writing your tutorial, please proofread it to avoid spelling mistakes, you can also use different free tools to check the spellings.
- Please try to avoid the grammatical mistakes, if you do these mistake you can not express your ideas properly to others. For removal of these mistakes please read the article again and again, or you can solve these problems by using some online tool.
- The length of the article should be at least 500 words, there’s no upper limit.
- You should also have to add at least three pictures related to the article, which must be well designed, eye-catching and easily understandable.
- As you already know that our website is related to engineering and technology so try to write such articles which have a technical background.
- Please try to avoid abusive language and harsh words.
- Article should be informational & comprehensive.
Article Formatting on TEP
- If you are an engineer, then you must be aware of the fact that “Presentation is the key to success“.
- Till now, you have learnt the rules and regulation for writing tutorial on TEP, now let’s have a look at How to make it pretty and presentable.
- In the figure below, you can see the paragraph option when you click on it there are lots of heading option like, Heading 1, Heading 2, Heading 3, Heading 4, Heading 5.
- The option for heading we used on our website is Heading 4 you also try to use this for heading. You can also use (shift+alt+4) short key for this heading.
- In the visual tab, there are many options which you can use to write and add different formatting on your post. Let’s discuss them one by one.
- Bold (B): This option for to bold text, you can bold different important points in your blog by using this option.
- Italic Option (I): By using this option you can change your font style. This option is used to emphasize some point in the post.
- Bulleted List: By using this option you can add different points in your post.
- Numbered List: Using this option you can give numbering to different points and heading in post.
- Blockquote: You can write some important points in the blockquote.
- Align Left: You can set the alignment of your text to the left side of the posting page.
- Center Align: You can set your text in the centre of the page by this option.
- Align Right: You can align your text on the right side of the page.
- Insert Link: By this option, you can add links of your previous articles to new articles.
- Special Character: You can use this option to write special letters like <, ≥, Π, ∇, etc.
- Text Colour: This option to change text colour. By using it you can write you heading or data with the colour according to your own choice.
- Guys if you are a programmer or have knowledge of different programming languages text option is for you.
- By using this you can design or edit your post according to your requirements and skills. You can add different codes of programming languages like HTML, CSS or some other programming languages.
How to Send Posts to the TEP Team
- Guys till now you have learned different regulation about post writing on the TEP and how to write the post.
- Your post will reach to our team and after the final overview and analyzing different parameters related to post your article will be published on the website within the 24 hours.
How to Edit Users Profile on TEP
- Till now you have learned about article writing on the TEP one thing more you should know as you are the members of TEP, you should also know about your profile.
- In the given diagram, a profile of the user is shown and its some option you can see are described here.
- First, you can see the Dashboard option on this page all of your written posts will be saved and you can also write a new post in the dashboard by clicking on the new post.
- There are some options of Dashboard are described here.
- My Articles: In this option, your already written posts are saved and in future, you can write posts and save here. You can edit them whenever you want in the future.
- My Questions: In this option, you will read the question asked by the reader of your posts, you can also guide them further about your article.
- My Comments: In this option, you will receive the comments on your posts.
- Add New Tutorial: You can write a new article by using this option.
- When you click on this option you will see two more option which is described here.
- My Activity: By using this option you can see your previous articles very easily and in which month you write them.
- My Notifications: In this option, you can read different notifications on your posts by date and name of the previous article.
- Manage Profile: In profile option, you can edit your personal information like your account name, email, and password. The further you can edit are listed here.
How to Contact With the TEP Team
- If you are facing any issue related to posts writing or some other problems, you can ask for help very easily. Our contact details are given here:
- You can also contact us by solving the contact us form which is available at the home page.
Guys, it is the detailed article on How to Post Tutorial on TEP (The Engineering Project) and share your knowledge with other people. Each and everything to write a post on TEP is clearly mention in this article if you have any problem you can ask in comments. Our team members will help you thanks for reading. Take care…
The post How to Post Tutorial on TEP (The Engineering Project) appeared first on The Engineering Projects.
VANCOUVER – The Vancouver Whitecaps gave up goals about 16 minutes apart in the first half to drop a 3-1 decision to New York City FC Saturday night, losing their third Major League Soccer game in eight days.
Alexandru Mitrita scored one goal and set up another for New York City (14-5-8), which won its fourth consecutive game. Heber and Gary Mackay-Steven, an early first half substitution, also scored.
Forward Yordy Reyna scored in the 64th minute for Vancouver.
The game had an eventual first half. A crowd of 17,512 at BC Place Stadium watched New York City score twice and two Whitecaps assistant coaches get ejected for arguing a disputed call.
Mitrita made it 3-1 in the 77th minute when his free kick from about 25 yards out squeezed in between the post and Whitecaps goalkeeper Maxime Crepeau. It was his eighth goal of the year.
New York City used a turnover in the 10th minute to go ahead 1-0 on Heber’s 14th goal of the season. Midfielder Tony Rocha took the ball off the foot of Vancouver midfielder Jon Erice, then passed it to Mitrita. He sent it to Heber who scored on a low, hard shot. It was Mitrita’s league-leading 19th assist.
Heber limped off the field in the 21st minute after going down in a heap and was replaced by Mackay-Steven.
A pretty play by captain Maximiliano Moralez set up Mackay-Steven’s goal in the 26th minute. Moralez threaded a perfect pass through the Vancouver defence to a charging Mackay-Steven who chipped the ball over the Whitecap goalkeeper.
Tempers flared in the 31st minute when referee Marcos de Oliveira initially signalled a penalty kick should be awarded to Vancouver after New York City goalkeeper Sean Johnson appeared to foul Whitecaps forward Tosaint Ricketts. The call was reversed on a video replay, resulting in both goalkeeper coach Youssef Dahha and assistant coach Vanni Sartini being ejected for arguing the decision.
Dahha didn’t go quietly. He rallied the booing crowd to their feet while being escorted off the pitch.
Reyna got the Whitecaps fans back into the game when he took a pass from Ricketts and took a shot from the right side of the box that curled just inside the left post.
The Whitecaps (6-15-9) were coming off a 2-1 loss to Montreal Wednesday and are (1-4-0) in their last five games. They have been outscored 11-5 in this stretch and sit last in the MLS Western Conference.
The win moved New York City into second place on the Eastern Conference, one point behind the Philadelphia Union.
NOTES: Vancouver defender Jake Nerwinski left the game 15th minute with an injury. He was helped off the field not putting any weight on his right leg. … The Whitecaps have travelled 14,000 kilometres to play three games in eight days. … Vancouver centre back Erik Godoy missed the game with a right calf strain. … Both defender Ronald Matarrita and midfielder Alex Ring missed the game for New York City due to suspension. … The Whitecaps play three of their remaining four games at home.
Jim Morris, The Canadian Press
MCLEAN’S TOWN CAY, Bahamas – A dangerous Hurricane Dorian closed in on the northern Bahamas early Sunday, threatening to batter islands with 150 mph (240 kph) winds, pounding waves and torrential rain as people hunkered down in schools, churches and other shelters.
Millions from Florida to the Carolinas kept a wary eye on Dorian, meanwhile, amid indications it would veer sharply northeastward after passing the Bahamas and track up the U.S. Southeast seaboard. But authorities warned even if its core did not make U.S. landfall and stayed offshore, the potent Category 4 storm would likely hammer U.S. coastal areas with powerful winds and heavy surf.
In the northern stretches of the Bahamas archipelago, hotels closed, residents boarded up homes and officials hired boats to move people from low-lying areas to bigger islands as Dorian approached.
Bahamas Prime Minister Hubert Minnis warned that Dorian is a “dangerous storm” and said any “who do not evacuate are placing themselves in extreme danger and can expect a catastrophic consequence.”
Small skiffs shuttled Saturday between outlying fishing communities and McLean’s Town, a settlement of a few dozen homes at the eastern end of Grand Bahama island, about 150 miles (240 kilometres) from Florida’s Atlantic coast. Most people came from Sweeting Cay, a fishing town of a few hundred people about 5 feet (1.5 metres) above sea level.
“We’re not taking no chances,” said Margaret Bassett, a ferry boat driver for the Deep Water Cay resort. “They said evacuate, you have to evacuate.”
Over two or three days, the slow-moving hurricane could dump as much as 4 feet (1 metre) of rain, unleash devastating winds and whip up a dangerous storm surge, said private meteorologist Ryan Maue, seconding some of the most reliable computer models.
Government spokesman Kevin Harris said Dorian was expected to impact some 73,000 residents and 21,000 homes. Authorities closed airports for The Abaco Islands, Grand Bahama and Bimini, but Lynden Pindling International Airport at the capital of Nassau remained open.
Jeffrey Allen, who lives in Freeport on Grand Bahama, said he had learned after several storms that sometimes predictions of damage don’t materialize, but he still takes precautions.
“It’s almost as if you wait with anticipation, hoping that it’s never as bad as they say it will be. However, you prepare for the worst nonetheless,” he said.
On average, the Bahamas archipelago gets a direct hit from a hurricane every four years, officials said. Construction codes require homes to have metal reinforcements for roof beams to withstand winds into the upper limits of a Category 4 hurricane, and compliance is generally tight for residents who can afford it. Risks are higher in poorer communities, which typically have wooden homes and are generally in lower-lying areas.
Late Saturday, Dorian was centred about 125 miles (200 kilometres) east of Great Abaco Island in the Bahamas and 310 miles (500 kilometres) east of West Palm Beach as it crept westward at 8 mph (13 kph).
The slow-crawling storm was predicted to take until Monday afternoon to pass over the Bahamas, and then turn sharply and skirt up the U.S. coast, staying just off Florida and Georgia on Tuesday and Wednesday and then buffeting South Carolina and North Carolina on Thursday.
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis warned residents along that state’s densely populated Atlantic coast, “We’re not out of the woods yet.” He noted some forecast models still bring Dorian close to or even onto the Florida peninsula.
“That could produce life-threatening storm surge and hurricane force winds,” DeSantis said. “That cone of uncertainty still includes a lot of areas on the east coast of Florida and even into central and north Florida, so we are staying prepared and remaining vigilant.”
In Miami, Carmen Segura said she had installed hurricane shutters at her house, bought extra gas and secured water and food for at least three days. She felt well prepared and less worried, given the latest forecasts, but still was uneasy given the storm’s unpredictability.
“Part of me still feels like: So, now what?” Segura said.
South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster declared a state of emergency, mobilizing state resources to prepare for potential storm effects. President Donald Trump already declared a state of emergency and was brief late Saturday about the storm.
The hurricane upended some Labor Day holiday weekend plans in the U.S.: Major airlines allowed travellers to change their reservations without fees, big cruise lines rerouted their ships and Cumberland Island National Seashore off Georgia closed to visitors. Disney World and Orlando’s other resorts held off announcing any closings.
Sherry Atkinson, who manages a hotel on North Carolina’s Outer Banks, said the hurricane wasn’t spoiling holiday vacations for guests. “So far, there hasn’t even been a snippet of conversation about evacuations,” she said.
Associated Press writers Tim Aylen in McLean’s Town Cay; Seth Borenstein in Washington; Michael Weissenstein in Havana, Cuba; Adriana Gomez Licon in Miami; Brendan Farrington in Tallahassee, Florida; Julie Walker in New York; Michael Kunzelman in College Park, Maryland; and Amy Forliti in Minneapolis contributed to this report.
For AP’s complete coverage of the hurricane: https://apnews.com/Hurricanes
Ramon Espinosa, The Associated Press
WASHINGTON – The Trump administration’s latest round of tariffs on Chinese imports have taken effect, potentially raising prices Americans pay for some clothes, shoes, sporting goods and other consumer goods in advance of the holiday shopping season.
The 15% taxes apply to about $112 billion of Chinese imports. All told, more than two-thirds of the consumer goods the United States imports from China now face higher taxes. The administration had largely avoided hitting consumer items in its earlier rounds of tariff hikes.
But with prices of many consumer goods now likely to rise, the administration’s move threatens the U.S. economy’s main driver: Consumer spending. As businesses pull back on investment spending and exports slow in the face of weak global growth, American shoppers have been a key bright spot for the economy.
Christopher Rugaber, The Associated Press